Hambleton parish population estimate 830 (2000)
Tollerton- a History
In Saxon times, Tollerton was part of the administrative area known as the Wapentake of Bulmar, most of which lay within the boundaries of the royal forest of Galtres. According to Gill in his Vallis Eboracensis, published in 1852, the forest was a famous place for the hunting of wild boar, wolves and bears by both ancient British and Saxon kings.
In fact, Gill surmised that the old name for York, Eborwic, was probably derived from Ebor (Saxon for wild boar) and Wic (refuge or retreat), the whole signifying a place which was a refuge from the wild boars in the Forest of Galtres. Gill carries on by quoting Geoffrey de Monmouth regarding a battle in around 400 BC when the Britons routed the Norwegians in the Forest.
By the time of the Domesday survey, Tollerton was a township within the parish of Alne and 8 caracates of land belonged to the Archbishop of York. A carucate was as much land as could be ploughed by one team in a year and varied from 120 to 180 acres.
In 1256, King Henry III granted John Mansel, Treasurer of York Minster, and his successors, the charter to hold a weekly market and an annual fair in Tollerton, the fair to be held on August 14th, 15th and 16th. Kings Edward I and Henry VIII confirmed this charter and the fair persists to the present day as the Tollerton Horticultural Society Show.
There are numerous items on record regarding 'Old Tollerton' and a Village Newsletter is distributed quarterly. An enclosure map of 1817 records all the land-owners in the village and old census returns are being examined. The 1851 Census shows that the village had 1 schoolmaster, 4 innkeepers, 4 shoemakers, 3 tailors, 3 corn millers, 2 grocers, 1 butcher, 1 chemist, 1 blacksmith and 1 cooper. Tollerton cattle market was held behind the site of the Tollerton Arms.
It is not sufficient to research and record historical events; an attempt is being made to record recent and current happenings as, very shortly, these will become history. There is a village store and post office, a hairdressing salon, together with a timber yard and DIY shop, builders, carpenters, electricians and plumbers, and a number of on-line businesses. There are also a caravan site and kennels. Village amenities include an active Cricket Club, tennis courts and billiards. By the time of publication of this directory there should be a Tollerton Village website to visit. A new Millennium play area has been built on the sports field, replacing old equipment. The village had 3 inns, but the Tollerton Arms pub is closing and will be demolished to make way for housing, as are White House Farm buildings.
The original War Memorial Institute was a wooden building erected as a memorial to the men who gave their lives in the first World War. During World War 2, the hall was the venue for many Saturday night dances which were well attended by servicemen from the neighbouring airfields. Some 20 years ago, the original hall was replaced by a modern, brick-built hall, and this now provides space and facilities for many village activities. There are currently plans for the refurbishment of the hall.
Cyril B Haworth Tollerton 1996 , with additions by Mrs Helen Crooke 2000
Will require Adobe Reader to view
TOLLERTON, in the parish of Alne, wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles S. of Easingwold. This village, situated on the verge of the great forest of Galtres, is supposed to be one of the places where travellers, on entering the forest, paid a certain toll, for which they were furnished with a guide, properly armed, to defend them from the attacks of robbers and wild beasts, with both of which that extensive forest is said to have abounded. Here is a Methodist chapel and Sunday school. At the western extremity of the village runs a small rivulet, which tradition says was once a navigable river, named Carr or Kyle, and, in digging for the foundation of a water mill, in 1815, part of a ship was discovered, at the depth of from ten to twelve feet below the surface. There is here a fair for sheep and cattle on the 15th of August. Population. 481